Treasure Box

My family reunion came and went and that last day I prepared to say goodbye to my research opportunities as we pack up and headed home. Fate had more in store for us, however.

My uncle, my father, my boyfriend, and myself all went out to the Lonedell area of Missouri (about 40 minutes from the location of our family reunion) to find the land of my ancestor Mathias Bader. He immigrated from Germany in the 1850's and eventually made his way to rural Missouri to start his own farm and family. Far down on the Meramac river bottom land, we found what we believed to be his original farm. We stood looking out across the rushing Meramac- it's a really beautiful and ruthless river that runs throughout Franklin County. My grandma warned us every year at the reunion that she had a cousin who drowned in the Meramac "and although it's beautiful" she said, "those undercurrents are stronger than they seem". She anxiously watched us on our trips down to the water and worried for hours until all the members of the yearly float trip returned.

When it was finally time to go and we had sufficiently surveyed the area, my uncle said his goodbyes and headed the opposite direction from us- straight up to Iowa. Dad, Aaron and myself were past Rolla (about half-way home) when we got a call that my uncle had been in a terrible accident. We rushed back to meet him at the hospital.

He was banged up, but lucky to be alive and we knew he wouldn't be able to leave the hospital for a couple of days when the doctor's told us he had a partially collapsed lung and a few cracked ribs. Luckily, we were transferred over to the hospital in St. Charles, Missouri. A town a great deal more charming and interesting than others in the area. I got a little air bnb apartment on the main road downtown and settled in to wait with uncle David for his release. Dad and my boyfriend headed back to return to work the next day.

While he was laid up, some family members got into contact and came to visit. We sat and talked for hours about our family and those who are long gone. I learned so much about the family dynamics that I never knew before. This great aunt of mine and her daughter invited me to dinner and to get a "box of family items" that they thought I might be interested in.

I couldn't have imagined what I would see in that box!

We sat in my great aunt's back bedroom/office and I CRIED over the items I received. I couldn't believe these existed, let alone that they wanted me to have them.

So much has changed since I started my research- but especially my relationship to my family. In a million years I would have never guessed that such amazing family heirlooms would end up in my hands...let alone that my elders would trust and love me enough to put them there. I feel blessed and I feel duty to all of these people for the trust they put in me.

So... now for the big reveal.....






Objects 

Mathias Bader Jr.s Holy Bible and a possible study book to go along with it. He was confirmed as a Catholic at one point but I'm not sure if this was during that time. One has his name written over and over in a sort of child's practice. The other has what looks to have been an inscription (including Mathias's name) by someone else. Both books are in German. Date: circa 1880's.







Magdalena (Luchsinger) Bader's prize ribbons from the Evergreen Garden Club Flower Show from 1951. Lena (as she was called) is my great great grandmother. She was an avid gardener. Her father immigrated from Switzerland and had Lena when he was 72 years old!




Handmade doily flowers from Lena and Mathias's 50th wedding anniversary from 1956. The small cards which explain the flowers were written by their youngest son, Howard Bader. He wrote, "These flower decorations were made by Lena Bader. Some were used on the cake as evidenced by the icing on back of flowers. She also made some which she handed to their guests who attended their 50th wedding anniversary party."





Wallet owned by Leona Bader- the daughter of Lena and Mathias Bader Jr. Leona never married and worked her entire life as a nurse. She graduated from a small nursing college in St. Louis in the 1920's and eventually moved on to Arizona to work as a nurse for tuberculosis patients on Indian reservations. She then moved to California where she lived out the rest of her life. Inside her wallet was a professional looking photo of her from the 1930's and multiple cards. 


\



Documents

Several documents were stored within the box rolled up. This method of storage is not ideal and I am working on finding a solution to relaxing the paper fibers to flatten them to be stored correctly. Any help in this department would be SO APPRECIATED!




First, there was a detailed death announcement for my three times great grandmother from 1890. I posted a photo of it in a genealogy Facebook page and got a full translation done! I now know so much about her health right before she passed. 

Next there was the marriage certificate from my great great grandparents Lena Luchsinger and Mathias Bader from Sept. 9th of 1896.

Then, there was a 1st communion record for Mathias from 1887!

Lastly, there was a Proof of Testing from 1886 for Lena Luchsinger. I'm guessing this is proof of her Catholic confirmation (I'm not catholic so that is not something I am very knowledgeable about). 

To top it all off, there is an amazing letter from 1902 in German. I need to have this translated but I know it has something to do with my Luchsinger family. 


Photos

Here's what really surprised me. I cannot believe the amazing tin types that were there all along and that I never know where they were kept (or even for some, that they existed!). 4 small tin types were wrapped in old tissue paper, all kept together by a torn napkin strip labeled, "Tin Plates of Lena and Mathias Bader". 








1. Mathias Bader as a young boy

2. Unknown man on a mule outside a log house

3. Mathias Bader (standing) with a friend or relative as a young man.

4. Lena Luchsinger as a teenager



I hope you found this glimpse into my family's hidden treasures interesting. I can't stress enough how important it is to make connections with the living to make connections with the dead. I am using the time I have left with the people in my family. I am loving them hard and showing gratitude for the strong willed, deep rooted family I call my own. There is nothing better for your research!


Love always and happy hunting!
Morgan









Comments

Popular Posts