Let's Get (RE) Started - Part I

I know I can't be alone in feeling like I need a fresh start to my genealogy research. 





I've got a new house, a new year, and more change on the way. I'm not the 22 year old college student I was when I started my research and I've got goals and limited time to complete them. I'm ready to go back and do things the right way. 

So no, I'm not a complete newbie but I'm close enough to it I truly think this will help new researchers while they are getting started. 

First things first....what KIND of stuff do you need to get started?

1. Some type of family tree whether it is computer software or paper it is up to you. I prefer computer software because of the flexibility and convenience. Don't buy anything just yet. And DON'T use Family Search tree building software. The tree you will create will not belong to you there. It can be changed and even deleted by other people. Use Ancestry.com with no subscription. 

2. A computer of your own to store documents and photos on. 

3. Office supplies. 

4. A FamilySearch.org account. 

That's about it. Of course, more needs will arise but I highly suggest keeping it simple as you start. It will be complicated enough later on. Be gentle with yourself!

*side note* If you are like me and you have inherited a TON of photos and documents, I would tell you to put that in a safe (climate controlled) environment while you begin to understand your family. It will make no sense to go through this now.

EDIT: After downloading and using a family tree database (RootsMagic) I have to update this post to reflect my change of opinion. I highly suggest using something like this if possible. It is very little money for the convenience and clarity it gives.  It allows you to add all necessary data and use the data in different ways. No more re-typing or re-writing family trees and group sheets!! No more struggling to make several different programs work together! It's all. right. there. I am a convert!

Now that you are ready to go, start with the goal of getting your basic research back to 1940. 

This will probably not be too difficult for the majority of readers. Maybe you need to ask a family member, maybe you don't. The reason you take it back to 1940? Census records! Records will dictate where in your family line you can start your research. Recent records are not online due to privacy concerns. This year (2020) the 1950 census will become available but for the time being we will consider the 1940 census to be the most recent available. 

Some seasoned genealogists will tell you to go as far back and out as you can by just asking your family members. Personally, I find that my brain can keep things more straight when I consider this a practice run. If you make sense of it in your own brain by following the research you will have a much easier time. Again, keep it simple. Don't let family myths and misconceptions cloud your judgement this early on. 

So here is what your tree should look like (after talking to a loved one)...

Morgan Marler

                                      Author's Mother (1957-)         Author's Father (1957-)

     Maternal Grandmother   Maternal Grandfather     Paternal Grandmother    Paternal Grandfather 
           (1922-2015)                    (1924-1999)                   (1926-2015)                   (1927-1993)


For me, my line ends up pre-1940's very quickly. I have an older family. For some, it may be a few generations, for others, it may just be them and their parents. This is the basis for your entire tree. Now that you are back before 1940 you will be able to find SO many more records of your family. Next time, we will talk about the most important records for a beginner genealogist and how to access them. We will also talk about extracting the data from them and putting it into your tree system.

That's all for now- get your foundation set so you can start strong.

Love always and happy hunting,
Morgan



Comments

Popular Posts